If you have got a newborn at your place, then you might now be aware of the requirement of a car seat. There are many types of car seats available for the baby, and all of them vary a lot regarding functionality.
Types of Car Seats Explained
We will provide a brief on the types of car seats, and they include Infant Car Seats, Convertible Car Seats, and Booster seats.
- Infant Car Seats– this can be used by newborns till they reach the height of the baby seat. Here the seats are usually placed facing rear to the actual seat of the car. After the kids have passed the time, you need to get one convertible or the front facing seats.
- Convertible Car Seats– This seat is adopted during the period when your baby needs transformation from rear facing seat to the front facing seats. Maximum weight limit for this seat is found to be 65 pounds.
- Booster Car Seats- You can get the purpose of this seat by the name itself, this seat fills the gap between the usage of front facing baby seats to the actual adult car seats. The gap can be filled with the help of booster seats.
So these are the various types of car seats, and now we will provide some tips on selecting the right car seat. First of all, why do we even need to baby car seat, well, it SAVES LIVES.
A study has shown the car seats reduces the baby deaths by 71% in car accidents. Get the perfect seat for your infant, and connect them in the right way and keep your child safe.
How to Choose Baby Car Seat?
When you are on the search for a baby seat, you will come across many models leaving you all confused. To solve this query, you need to consider only 3 factors, and they are:
- Age of your baby
- Height and Weight of the baby
- Check for the safety certifications on the car seat
We will see a brief on all the three conditions to be noted for choosing the right car seat for your baby.
Age of your baby
From Birth till they reach 2 years-> You can make use of rear facing car seat. And the other point to note that the child must not exceed the weight recommended on the car seat.
For children from age 2 to 4-> For babies falling in this category, you can get one front facing car seat. The only condition is that the baby must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
For babies who fall in the age between 4 and 8 years-> You can keep the baby in the back seat, and make use of belt-positioning booster seats for them. The recommended height is 4 feet and 9 inches.
Babies with age more than 8 years-> It is a must to use a booster seat before the child switches from baby seat to the adult car seat. While getting set on the booster seat, you need to check on the position of the shoulder belt, and the lap belt. The lap belt should be near the upper thighs, and the shoulder belt should be near the chest area of the baby.
So, after you have chosen the right age category, check out all the type of car seat recommended in that age category. Next, you have to note your baby’s weight and height. Then make a list of all the car seats which matches your child.
Consider the Safety Standards of the Car Seat
- Check on the statement on the label saying that the Car Seats meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
- Consider the ratings given by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If the ratings range between 4 to 5, then this means the product is easy to use and comes with clear usage instructions.
- And finally, the five-point harness gives the best safety to your baby!
With all the safety considerations, you can purchase the right Car Seat for your child. Let us know your thoughts about the Buying guide we have explained here. Get in touch with us by commenting your query in the space provided below.